The origin of Valentine’s Day is somewhat mysterious, but it is known that St. Valentine – a priest after whom the day is believed to have been named – became a popular Saint in England and France during the Middle Ages. He purportedly sent a note to a young sweetheart he met while imprisoned for “treachery.” He signed it “From Your Valentine,” a phrase still in use today.
Over the centuries, romance became increasingly associated with February 14, and the first recorded Valentine was a love letter sent in 1415 from Charles, Duke of Orlean, to his wife during his imprisonment in the Tower of London. By the 18th Century, friends and lovers regularly exchanged tokens of affection and love on this holiday.
Today, Valentine’s Day has become a day that symbolizes a couple’s eternal love. A perfect way to celebrate your love, as a couple, is a Valentine’s getaway, and the Finger Lakes offers exquisite choices that will fire up romance and inspire magical memories! Here are but a few:
- 10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn’s Valentine Be Mine Special – (Valid throughout February) You’ll delight in the elegance of this all-suites inn located at the north end of Owasco Lake. Your package includes candlelight, rose petal & chocolate turn down service, a dozen red roses, breakfast in-suite the morning after arrival, in-suite 60 minute Swedish couples massage, an antipasto plate & sparkling juice, chocolate strawberries and a special keepsake to bring home. Midweek pricing: $659-$704, depending on suite. Weekend pricing: $695-$812, depending on suite. Auburn
- Aurora Inn’s “To Your Heart’s Content” Package – (Valid Sunday Feb. 13 and Monday Feb. 14) This recently-designated AAA four diamond inn is playing cupid and they have the perfect Valentine’s gift: a getaway to Aurora on the border of lovely Cayuga Lake for an evening of delectible cuisine with a a decadent four-course dinner, a luxurious overnight stay in a lake view or village view room, and a delicious full breakfast the following morning. $225 per night (based on double occupancy) plus tax & gratuity. Aurora
Bed and Breakfast at Oliver Phelps’ Valentine Romance Package – (Valid throughout February) The delightful Bed and Breakfast at Oliver Phelps offers a Valentine Romance Package that includes a fresh bouquet of romantic flowers in your room,Valentine chocolates crafted by a local chocolatier, bubbly on ice, late night dessert for two by the fire, a fifty dollar gift certificate toward a romantic dinner on the town and a candlelight gourmet Valentine breakfast. Package price for a one night stay starts at $215.00 (upgrade to Queen room for $245.00 and the Suite for $270.00). Canandaigua
- Bristol Harbour Resort’s Valentine’s Dine & Stay Package - (Valid February 11-20) Cozy up with your lover for Valentine’s Day and enjoy overnight accommodations overlooking beautiful Canandaigua Lake, a voucher of $55 towards dinner, a bottle of Finger Lakes wine plus a special Valentine’s surprise gift. Weekend packages also include a $14 breakfast voucher per couple. Weekday Package: 1 Night $195, 2 night $299. weekend package: 1 Night $249 , 2 night $349 per couple, tax included. Canandaigua
- Desired Haven B&B Valentine Spa Getaway & Cuddle Up – Visit one of the most pristine areas of the Finger Lakes and enjoy your choice of 2 nights, 3 days with a romantic candlelight dinner for 2 upon arrival, a sensual Victorian Jacuzzi Spa package that includes a 1 hour in-house massage for 2 by a licensed massage therapist, a huge country gourmet breakfast each morning, special Valentine’s Day chocolates, afternoon treats from the chef’s kitchen and local fine dining on the second evening. You’ll enjoy spectacular views of the Finger Lakes region and you may also want to bring your own gear to cross-country ski, hike or snowshoe across acres of snowy trails. Complete all inclusive, deluxe package: $699.00 plus tax 2 persons; 1 night only $599. + tax. Bloomfield.
- Esperanza Mansion’s Keuka Wine Trail “Truffles & Tastes” Package – (Valid Feb. 11 and 12) This Valentine’s Day weekend, enjoy the hospitality of the Esperanza Mansion and Keuka Lake wineries with a “Truffles & Tastes” package. Package includes a one-night stay in one of the Historic Mansion rooms or Country Cottage Inn rooms, dinner for two (starting with an appetizer to share and including two each of house salad, dinner entree, dessert, coffee, glass of wine, and gratuity), breakfast for two (including gratuity), a bottle of Keuka Lake wine, and Keuka Wine Trail “Truffles & Tastes” tickets for two. Receive a different chocolate truffle at each winery and display them in a gift box that you’ll receive at your starting winery. Wine trail event tickets are valid Saturday, February 12 or Sunday, February 13. Pricing starts at $340. Bluff Point on Keuka Lake
- Geneva on the Lake’s “Remembering Your Valentine Anytime” Package - (Valid anytime) Enjoy the luxury of a AAA four diamond historic European-style Resort located on Seneca Lake. Package includes chocolate dipped strawberries, a bottle of champagne and a dozen roses upon arrival, a romantic candlelight dinner served in the elegant Lancellotti Dining Room, full breakfast or Sunday brunch (in your suite, if you wish) plus a one-hour massage for one person in the comfort of your suite. Package runs from $464 to $1094 per night. Geneva
- Radisson Hotel Corning’s Valentine Getaway Package – (Valid throughout February) Wrap up a great Valentine’s gift with one stop! Escape to Corning for a romantic night away and enjoy the historic Gaffer District, Museums and shops. Valentine’s Package includes: overnight guest room, breakfast for two, a bottle of champagne and chocolates!$154 – $164/night. Corning
Photos courtesy of 10 Fitch and the Bed and Breakfast at Oliver Phelps.
Reference for Valentine’s Day history: History.com