This summer, over 1000 museums are participating in the National Endowment for the Arts’ “Blue Star Museum” program. Through this program, active duty military personnel and their families are entitled to free admission at museums across the U.S. between Memorial Day (May 30) and Labor Day (September 5), 2011. Finger Lakes regional museums taking part in this program include:
- Auburn – Seward House Museum
- Binghamton – The Bundy Museum of History and Art, Phelps Mansion Museum, Roberson Museum & Science Center
- Corning – Corning Museum of Glass, Rockwell Museum of Western Art
- Elmira – Arnot Art Museum, Chemung County Historical Society, National Soaring Museum
- Ithaca – Museum of the Earth
- Palmyra – Historic Palmyra
- Rochester – Memorial Art Gallery
- Sodus Point – Sodus Bay Lighthouse
If you or an immediate family member is on active duty you can take advantage of this program by showing a Geneva Convention common access card (CAC), a DD Form 1173 ID card, or a DD Form 1173-1 ID card, including those stamped URW and DB. Active duty military includes Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard and Reserve members and up to five immediate family members. Please see the chart of the acceptable IDs (PDF).
For additional information on this program, visit the site’s Frequently Asked Questions.